Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-03 4:49 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

Denne måneds Førende:

Mest Hjælpsomme

Fik flest Hjerter

Browse gennem 411.764 emner i 47.064 indlæg

161.039 medlemmer

Velkommen til vores nye medlemmer: mariebel, SWK679Learning, Number777, cbtelearning, Suder47

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

for 11 år siden 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, Thanks:) 

It's a good thing that you were able to rest today..I am sure your body is thanking you..
I know more work and catchup tomorrow..but I am sure you will be better for it..
Remember to stop and take of yourself, ya hear..
Red..

for 11 år siden 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I prepared patches for some new tomatoes, and have to do that again tomorrow.  I need space for bean replanting, and will keep basil in a pot, since it didn't make it  a couple of years ago.
for 11 år siden 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know what happened today, it was a nice day but I couldn't stay awake. I still have some watering to do. Still have to drag the pump out and hook it to the hoses. So tired though. Cats knocked down a lot of plants so I'll have to tie them up. Humming bird feeder is empty. This is creating a lot of anxiety.

Davit
Thanks Davit,
What I forgot is that even if there are 3 inches of rain a month, like here, it comes in such small amounts that it dries up across the months.  I tried to see a chiropractor, but I think two are away, so I'll have to just grin and bare it(or if I go to a yoga class , sing "OM" and look tranquil).
Hugs

You need rain first. California is drier than here and here we have had hardly any.
Some gardeners wear a back brace because all gardeners get a sore back, and sore legs.  Working a hoe is hard on the upper back and shoulders. Bending is hard on the lower back. Sit when ever you can. Kneel if you can.

Davit
Red,
I know I've mentioned it before, but if water is that expensive out there, have you thought of using a rainbarrel, and directing the roof water towards the garden?  The rule of thumb is that 1 inch of rain gives 627 gallons of water from a thousand square foot roof.  I'm definitely going to do it at the end of the summer, but now it's actually rainy enough!  I suppose one has to rank their activities.  Also, I have to improve the edging here, so the water doesn't spill onto the patio, so I'm monitoring the drainage and taking pictures, and watching to see if others have similar challenges in the neighbourhood. 

I've done some research on the price of edging, too, as well as watched youtube videos.  Everytime it rains, I just get more motivated for the project in the fall, since I'm recording how much it's actually raining.  I do that calculation they do on credit card companies who want my business at the big box stores on the receipts when they print "you could have made so many loyalty points" if I bought their card.  Only I apply it to the rainwater, and think of not having to bend over(if I run a smart irrigation system) or just not flooding the sewer systems(which cause backflows in the old city infrastructure into our basements).

With this disposition we share, it's hard enough getting by.

Although I called the chiropractor(again), can anyone with a sore back assure me that "all" gardeners have sore backs during the beginning of the season?  I tried sitting on a yoga mat, and I just can't do that.  Lying back is really the only postion for me.

Thanks for your compliment on the avatars.
Davit,

Thanks for the info on the herbs and drought resistant plants..I don't do to good with cactus but like succulents and have a few on my patio..The lilies of the nile I had took very little water compared to the roses..I had those in the back yard with the roses and they were beautiful. I posted pic's here last year..

Anyway after I got out of the hospital last year I had to hire gardens for a short while and they picked my lilies apart and pretty much killed them so we started over this year..They were 20 years old..Oh well!! it was a sad day seeing them when I came home that day they fulled a whole trash can..I have looked for more. The ones I have seen so far at the nurseries are all root bound in their pots. So for now we are experimenting with the drought resistant plants..Some are very interesting to look at. The problem is the roses take so much water and are in the same bed as the drought resistance ones and the drought resistant ones die if they get to much water..So I may have to start watering the roses by hand that way my drought resistant ones won't get drowned by the sprinkler system..

Just one of life interesting problems..I do like looking at all the new plants in the nursery though..

Red..

Red

Most herbs are drought tolerant. Things with thin stiff leaves that don't sweat out water. How about cactus some of them have pretty flowers. Mediterranean plants possibly. Mints seem to need less water.

Not quite that hot here but hot still and going to be hotter next week. Deer flies and black flies are a nuisance but very few mosquitoes.

Davit
Davit and Hugs...Your new pics are just beautiful..I sure am enjoying them.

On the gardening side I didn't do much today...It was 100 degrees today and is supposed to hit 104 tomorrow..One of my rose bushes started to look wilted today so I water all the beds real good once the yard got shady just before the sun went down..Not sure if I will be able to keep it all watered this year..My last water bill was over $300 it comes bimonthly. They said on the local news tonight that the bills would be going up Again. I just hate to open up that bill when it gets here..Now that is stress and anxiety provoking for sure. If the roses don't make it I will look for some more drought tolerant plants..My lavender says it is drought tolerant maybe some more of those will have to do next time..The hummingbirds love them.

Red..
Hugs

I have some green velcro from Lee Valley to tie up the delphiniums that have gone over 6 foot now.
A second smaller plant is coming up beside the big blue one and it must be a different plant because it looks like the flowers will be white. More bushes are starting to flower. I'm filthy now. I took the mower off the big tractor and put the tiller on. I tilled the weeds on the summer fallow. Just like a dust storm. You could grow potatoes in my hair. I have caterpillars eating my basil. I wanted to weed beets next but better get rid of the caterpillars first. I drove over my cane again today. At least I didn't till it under. The water line is glued back together so Tomorrow I could put the pump on.
Potatoes and corn really need water bad. Right now though it is time for supper and I'm not ready. It is hot so I really just want a cup of tea.

Davit.

Læser dennne tråd: