Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-03 4:49 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

Denne måneds Førende:

Mest Hjælpsomme

Fik flest Hjerter

Browse gennem 411.764 emner i 47.064 indlæg

161.037 medlemmer

Velkommen til vores nye medlemmer: SWK679Learning, Number777, cbtelearning, Suder47, JJuarbe

Getting worse

for 8 år siden 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, Chuanita....anxiety can and does cause all of those symptoms.
for 8 år siden 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I suffer from panic attacks for now 6 months. i would like to know if it is normal to have wired symptoms everyday? I have feelings like: a lump in my troath, like i feel i cant get inuff air in my troath, dizzie , upper back pain, heart racing or irregular heart beats, vibrations in my stomach. why do i have these feelings everyday?

Sorry for my english.

Chuanita.
for 8 år siden 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I keep trying to reply, but my iPad is not cooperating past a few sentences.  I will get to a real computer next week.
for 8 år siden 0 11226 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JTL,

I am so glad you are starting to feel better. That is a huge success! I want you to know that I think many people in your line of work, or who have had experienced what you have would battle with anxiety at some point in their lives. You are an extremely strong person for acknowledging it and working on it. When it comes to exposure it sounds like you may need to do exposure to the anxious thoughts themselves. Check out the Ask the Expert section - specifically the post on CBT. I think this will give you some clues. Also, work on the section on worry - there are some techniques there to stop thoughts. Right now your brain has learned to be hypervigalent to threats. This actually may have worked in your favour in many ways - however, now it sounds like it is hindering you. Your difficult task is to unlearn this pattern of thinking and control it so it serves you. It will take time, practice and lots of knowledge but I have total faith you will get it under control. Keep posting and reading. We will continue to help you through it.

A question because I am curious and I feel you likely have a ton of knowledge and insight to tap into, what has helped in the past to control anxiety?

Ashley, Health Educator
Well, the day after that message, I went back on the meds I was on before. It's been better since then. I did the funny brain itch thing for a few days, but I have been much more relaxed without any grogginess. I talked about it with my family doctor, who my wife actually used to work for - so I don't feel he's trying to throw meds at me to get me out of the door. I am on half the dose I was on before, and it seems to be working. It hasn't been all sunshine. I'm still slightly jittery, and am still losing weight (close to 40 lbs over the last couple of months). That has me worried, but the doc says it's not uncommon with severe anxiety. I have done most of the program here, but at the exposure work is where I run into trouble. My work is constant exposure work, but it never flares up at work. My nerves get frazzled by the end of a busy week or day just worrying about my guys. Our activity is on the rise, and violent crime is up. I worry every day about one of my friends getting shot or killed. It's just taking its toll. At night, I sit and stew on everything. That's where all of my anxiety attacks occur - at home near bed time. How can I get exposure to going to bed? I'm not afraid of going outside, or grocery stores, or driving. I teach classes all the time - talking to crowds is like breathing. I get anxious, and I translate that into convincing myself that my body is trying to kill me. I know it's not true - except I have to realize the fact that eventually, it will. No matter what, my boy will fail me. I've seen lots of people die. It never really bothered me at the time, but obviously it does now. I put myself in their shoes. How will it feel? Will I be panicked? Will I feel like I do when I have a panic attack? I need to try a different therapist and see if I can find a better fit than the last one. I need to figure out a way for my emotions and my logical part of my brain to meet. I can't unlearn what I know. I can't unsee what I've seen. I just need to find that happy medium of not caring and having more hope. I've spent my life trying to fight things that are trying to kill me. Doing everything in my power to fight someone stabbing me, shooting me, or otherwise generally doing me harm. But how do you fight yourself? Your own fate? Honestly, I don't know how doctors and a lot of medical professionals do it - watching people die. But, I do feel much better now. The way I was feeling for about a month is gone. I'm back to genuine spurts of happy. I needed to do what I did at the time. To relax. I hope this sticks. BTW - my blood pressure and heart rate are down. That's nice. I had 40 lbs to lose for sure. Oddly, I was at my heaviest once I got off the meds a year ago. This is a good starting point - which is how I look at it. I need to pay more (or less) attention to how I'm feeling. I need to start eating more, and exercising more. I need to get advice on how I can do exposure work that relates to me and my condition. I'll find a way. But I came on here tonight to do a log entry because I was feeling anxious. It passed. That's good. Again, hopefully a good start. Stress, man. It's stressful.
for 8 år siden 0 11226 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JTL,

It sounds like you are dealing with some really tough anxiety. First, know that anxiety treatment has a high success rate. This program may be able to help. It is based on cognitive behaviour therapy principles which is considered the gold standard treatment of anxiety. Basically the program will help you to change your thought and behaviour patterns; which with time, will change how you feel. Due to the severity of your anxiety I also encourage you to speak to a doctor to ensure you are getting the absolute best, most well rounded treatment. Supplements, exercise, medication and more may be a part of your treatment plan.  What are your thoughts on this?

How are you feeling today?
Ashley, Health Educator
for 8 år siden 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sitting here waiting for my cookies to be done. Digestives. Drinking Lemon balm tea to settle me. I can't do SSRIs.

Cholesterol free, gluten free cookies. 

Davit
for 8 år siden 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had to go back on an SSRI for my anxiety as well.  I'd been on them for about 8 years, and wanted to try without them.  I did pretty well for about 18 months but then my anxiety slowly started coming back....but it was different triggers than before.  I fought it for as long as I could, but eventually had to ask my doctor to put me back on meds.  This time, I had to try a few different meds to find one that worked this time. 

Maybe your doctor can recommend a med that wont cause as much weight gain and/or lack of interest in sex.  I have the same low sex drive problem while on meds....but that isn't a major concern at this time as I'm single.  I'd rather have reduced anxiety over a normal sex drive at this time.

Hope you (and your doctor) can get things figured out.  Anxiety is a nasty monster.....
I don't know if it's typical, but after several months of my panic being on the decline, my panic attack cycle seems to be spinning up stronger than ever.  I ended up at the hospital last night convinced I was dying again.  I hadn't done that in years.  

I think I'm going to start back on anti-depressants, as this has just been too much.  My doc has recommended them, but I have refused for years.  I am getting all twitchy, tense all the time, and my outlook is always bleak.  

I'm not really scared of any one thing - mainly my body.  I'm convinced something inside me it trying to kill me.  Heart, brain, stomach - it's always something.  I know from extensive reading that it is likely just me internalizing my every sensation, but I've gotten to the point beyond desperation.  Living every day can't be this hard.  

I spend all my time dreading the next panic attack. I'm always anxious. I tried taking a diazepam when I started having a panic attack, but that has gotten to where it doesn't work.  When I was on the anti-depressants, I didn't have panic attacks at all.  Ever.  I stopped taking them because of the weight gain and lack of interest in sex.  But those seem like small prices to pay to stop what I'm feeling now.  

Help me obi-wan.  

Læser dennne tråd: